A toxic tort case is a lawsuit in which you are seeking compensation for injuries caused by toxic exposure. Typically this is exposure to a hazardous chemical, but it can be a substance such as mold and other types of toxic exposure, as well. Toxic exposure can cause long-term illnesses, permanent bodily harm and even death.
Toxic Exposure Injuries
The type of injuries caused by toxic exposure will depend on the type of exposure you have suffered. Common injuries caused by toxic exposure include:
- Brain injuries
- Respiratory illness
- Neurological damage
- Learning disabilities
- Birth defects
- Organ damage
Proving Toxic Tort
We will work with the medical specialists and experts with special knowledge about the toxic substance you were exposed to, in order to prove your case. These cases can be elusive, and pinning down the responsible parties can be very difficult and may require extensive investigation because the exposure may have occurred years or decades before your illness surfaced.
Types Of Toxic Exposure
It would be impossible to list all the types of toxic exposure here, but some common examples include:
- Lead-based paint often found in children’s toys – brain injury, learning disabilities, neurological damage and death
- Asbestos – asbestosis, mesothelioma and other cancers
- Toxic waste – leukemia, cancers, many other illnesses
- Benzene – leukemia, cancer, anemia, birth defects
- Dry cleaning chemicals – brain injury, organ damage
- Pharmaceuticals – multiple injuries including birth defects
- Teflon – cancer, birth defects, liver damage, learning disabilities
- PCB’s – cancer, liver damage
Children At Greatest Risk
Anyone can incur serious harm from toxic exposure, but children are hit especially hard. Because they are small, and their bodies are still developing, they are more susceptible to harm from toxic substances. Because many types of toxic exposure can cause learning disabilities and can affect development, children suffer more from their injuries throughout their lives.
At William J. Tinning, PC, we believe that every case is important, and no case is too small. If you or a loved one has been injured or killed by toxic exposure, please call 361-306-8343 or email us today to schedule your free consultation.
Se habla español.